This Christmas I decided to try my first DIY project.
If you like cute mugs, hot drinks in cold weather and getting cozy by the fire, you’ll love this.
Since it was a gift, I couldn’t post it before Christmas eve with the fear of ruining the surprise but you can try it just for your or as a present in other occasions.
You just need a mug, a permanent marker, some alcohol and a cotton pad, an idea, an oven… and a lot of patience!
Here’s how you can do it:
- Start by choosing a cheap mug because, believe it or not, the cheaper the better. I bought two mugs for 1€ each because after some research I found out that the ceramic in the good quality ones doesn’t let the permanent marker stay the same way these do.
- Choose a good permanent marker. I saw that the Sharpie brand tends to be the favorite among those who try this project but, in a hurry, I discovered that Staedtler is great. Also, be aware of colors because in the heat, some can change or fade. Stick with black if you don’t want to risk it.
- Get inspired! I recommend choosing a picture or a quote as your first try. Practice it in a piece of paper until you’re comfortable enough to start drawing in the mug.
- Rub a cotton pad with alcohol in the mug to get rid of the oils that can prevent your art to stay. Let it dry and clean it with a towel. This is also your eraser method.
- Start drawing and, if you’re not satisfied with something, use the alcohol and the cotton pad but make sure you dry the spot before continuing in the same place, otherwise the ink won’t stay.
- Once you’re finished, put the mug in the oven at approximately 200 ºC for more or less 30 minutes.
- When the time is up don’t take the mug out before it is cool to the touch or it might crack and break.
Note: To preserve your work I don’t recommend washing the mug in the dishwasher or rubbing too much while getting it clean.
Enjoy your beverages and tell me, what do you think of this project? Are you a “DIY-er”?